US Invasion of Venezuela

0
33

The US president Donald Trump has frequently talked about attacking Venezuela. According to a new statement, Trump is backed by his White House top supporters. Trump announced this invasion publicly in August 2017. In his speech, Trump expressed that Washington has numerous options that include a feasible military alternative. As stated by the Associated Press, Trump’s deliberations for the US invasion seem to be tenacious than what he declared in public. During an Oval Office summit on Wednesday, Trump astounded his top officials by proposing for the US intervention to overthrow Nicolás Maduro’s government. The President based his argument on the deteriorating financial and political environment in Venezuelan. He labeled it a menace to the region. An anonymous senior government official told the AP that Trump’s proposal shocked members at the meeting. In attendance was HR McMaster and Rex Tillerson, then the National Security Adviser and former Secretary of State respectively. The two no longer serve in the administration.

A report says that officials present attempted to talk Trump out of the suggestion in turns. They hinted that such military action would separate the US Latin American associates supporting Washington policy of disciplinary economic sanctions on the Maduro administration. Their efforts and advice seem not to have discouraged the president.

Reports say that Tillerson stood beside Trump wearing a gray face the following day at Bedminster. Trump owns a golf course in New Jersey where he continued his previous day talks on the Venezuela invasion. His statement included the availability of far-reaching troops from all over the world and the ongoing suffering of Venezuelan citizens. Maduro’s efforts to call the White House took no effect as his calls were not answered by Washington. Vladimir Padrino, Venezuelan Defense Minister, termed the president’s threat as a craze and ultimate radicalism. Consistent with the AP report, Trump persisted on his invasion idea in the following weeks.

Trump contacted Juan Manuel Santos, the Colombian president after his remarks at Bedminster. He brought the matter up during the UN General Assembly in September at a reserved dinner with associated Latin American states. Trump openly confessed to ignoring his official’s advice. He also asked those present for the dinner if they supported his military solution. McMaster finally succeeded in persuading Trump by telling him of the dangers of an invasion. Subsequently, the president’s interest in the notion subsided. It is not certain whether Trump’s military intrusion will take place. Trump insists on recalling troops in Syria while his administration prefers taking them to Europe. Trump directly threatened North Korea last year followed by Venezuela this year.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here